One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Characterized by caseation.
- ‘They showed that these drugs penetrated throughout lesions and caseous matter in concentrations adequate for bacteriostasis.’
- ‘There were healing granulomas and caseous foci, presumably tuberculosis, in mesenteric and peripancreatic lymph nodes.’
- ‘The first is a population of actively growing bacilli present in liquefied caseous material of the tuberculous lesion and the lining of the walls of pulmonary cavities.’
- ‘Histologically these lesions contain caseous necrosis and will eventually be absorbed or become calcified.’
- ‘The lymph nodes coalesce and break down due to formation of caseous pus.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin caseus ‘cheese’ + -ous.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.