One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The main protein present in milk and (in coagulated form) in cheese. It is used in processed foods and in adhesives, paints, and other industrial products.
- ‘Whey protein can be separated directly from milk by microfiltration processing, creating whey protein and micellar casein.’
- ‘The curd contains the main milk protein, casein, and the milk fat.’
- ‘When he paints with casein on wood, Doyle's style varies from precise representation to almost slapdash casualness.’
- ‘You will need to read all food labels as dairy turns up in many disguises, eg, whey, lactose, skimmed milk powder, casein, milk protein.’
- ‘Whey comprises approximately 20 percent of milk protein, while 80 percent of protein in milk is casein.’
- ‘What we've done over the years is identify that the calcium in milk is in a very specific form, that's stabilised by the proteins casein.’
- ‘Most of milk's much-vaunted protein is contained in casein - which is also a raw material for commercial glue.’
- ‘Also known as native milk protein, micellar casein is undenatured and tends to ‘gel’ in the gut.’
- ‘Later in 1913 the factory would expand for cheese-making and in 1923 would begin producing casein.’
- ‘Cottage cheese is an underrated bodybuilding food that's high in casein.’
- ‘Roughly 80 per cent of the milk's protein is casein, which exists in four varieties.’
- ‘Tissue protein as well as casein and milk protein concentrates are best suited for this purpose.’
- ‘Addition of casein was aimed to inhibit strong adhesion of vesicles to the bottom glass slide of the observation chamber.’
- ‘The manufacturing of cheese causes changes in both the lactose and the casein in milk.’
- ‘What were phone calls and deadlines are now freshly cut grass, casein painted wood, and newly mown hay.’
- ‘This is the reason why casein has frequently been used in foreign protein therapy.’
- ‘Inadequate air movement or cleaning where powder products such as casein are used is a special cause of contamination.’
- ‘The real benefit here is two sources of protein: whey digests quickly, while casein takes much longer.’
- ‘In addition, the enzymes that are naturally present in these bacteria begin breaking down the milk protein, casein.’
- ‘Extensive investigation led them to casein, a milk protein that is used in the new restructuring process.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin caseus ‘cheese’ + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.