Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The main protein present in milk and (in coagulated form) in cheese. It is used in processed foods and in adhesives, paints, and other industrial products.
- ‘Also known as native milk protein, micellar casein is undenatured and tends to ‘gel’ in the gut.’
- ‘Whey protein can be separated directly from milk by microfiltration processing, creating whey protein and micellar casein.’
- ‘You will need to read all food labels as dairy turns up in many disguises, eg, whey, lactose, skimmed milk powder, casein, milk protein.’
- ‘Addition of casein was aimed to inhibit strong adhesion of vesicles to the bottom glass slide of the observation chamber.’
- ‘Inadequate air movement or cleaning where powder products such as casein are used is a special cause of contamination.’
- ‘What were phone calls and deadlines are now freshly cut grass, casein painted wood, and newly mown hay.’
- ‘The real benefit here is two sources of protein: whey digests quickly, while casein takes much longer.’
- ‘Roughly 80 per cent of the milk's protein is casein, which exists in four varieties.’
- ‘Extensive investigation led them to casein, a milk protein that is used in the new restructuring process.’
- ‘This is the reason why casein has frequently been used in foreign protein therapy.’
- ‘When he paints with casein on wood, Doyle's style varies from precise representation to almost slapdash casualness.’
- ‘The manufacturing of cheese causes changes in both the lactose and the casein in milk.’
- ‘Tissue protein as well as casein and milk protein concentrates are best suited for this purpose.’
- ‘The curd contains the main milk protein, casein, and the milk fat.’
- ‘In addition, the enzymes that are naturally present in these bacteria begin breaking down the milk protein, casein.’
- ‘What we've done over the years is identify that the calcium in milk is in a very specific form, that's stabilised by the proteins casein.’
- ‘Most of milk's much-vaunted protein is contained in casein - which is also a raw material for commercial glue.’
- ‘Whey comprises approximately 20 percent of milk protein, while 80 percent of protein in milk is casein.’
- ‘Cottage cheese is an underrated bodybuilding food that's high in casein.’
- ‘Later in 1913 the factory would expand for cheese-making and in 1923 would begin producing casein.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin caseus ‘cheese’ + -in.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.