One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A knife with a long blade used for carving cooked meat into slices.
- ‘The victim took up a carving knife (later she said it was the bread knife) and threatened her.’
- ‘Either way, he hadn't come with a carving knife… that she could see.’
- ‘I'd considered one of the carving knives, but decided it would be too awkward to carry, and too easily missed.’
- ‘Then grab your carving knives and carefully go at it - just make sure parents are supervising because this can be pretty dangerous!’
- ‘The finish is worn and there are spots from too-hot casseroles and scratches from wayward carving knives.’
- ‘Most domestic kitchen knives are based on two designs, the dagger variety with a pointed tip - for example, vegetable knife or carving knife - and the blunt round nose variety - for example, bread knife.’
- ‘After he said that he pulled out a long carving knife.’
- ‘A massive meat fork was produced, along with a carving knife, and Mark and Julie's father carved the turkey.’
- ‘There was a chap at the door with a carving knife, he had a hood up and a scarf over his mouth and nose.’
- ‘She replaced the bread knife Kirstie had been holding with a wide-bladed carving knife. ‘You may make coleslaw instead, if you wish.’’
- ‘With a smile, Mary held up the large carving knife.’
- ‘‘Listen I need you go to your room; I remember seeing a carving knife in there, bring it to me please,’ she said.’
- ‘‘He went upstairs to calm things down, whereupon one of my tenants picked up a carving knife and stabbed him,’ she says.’
- ‘She sharpened the meat carving knife on a whetstone.’
- ‘Her hands, clad in a pair of pink rubber gloves, held a carving knife, its blade dripping red.’
- ‘He held the large carving knife in his right hand.’
- ‘However, large domestic implements such as cleavers, boning knives and carving knives would be exempt from the law and could still be bought by 16-year-olds.’
- ‘I stared at my reflection in the blade of my carving knife.’
- ‘He was stabbed three times with a two-inch carving knife but continues to recover well.’
- ‘Butchers do this with their huge carving knives, but you've got to be pretty nifty to do it with a pocket knife.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.