One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Fortune-telling by interpreting a random selection of playing cards.
- ‘Alliette (writing under the name of Etteilla) was probably the most famous of the French writers on cartomancy (divination by cards) Abrégé de la Cartomancie.’
- ‘Rumpology works the same way as astrology, cartomancy, metoposcopy, palmistry, and getting messages from ghosts.’
- ‘You could just use traditional cartomancy with a normal set of cards if needs drive.’
- ‘Astrology, astrotherapy, biorhythms, cartomancy, chiromancy, the enneagram, fortune telling, graphology, rumpology, etc., seem to work because they seem to provide accurate personality analyses.’
- ‘There are many different tarot decks used in cartomancy.’
Late 19th century: from French cartomancie, from carte ‘card’ + -mancie (see -mancy).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.