One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The pond, which years ago used to be used by carters to dampen their wheels and by residents to wash their clothes, has been the home of a family of ducks for some years’
- ‘On a thirsty day, unscrupulous carters were known to extract a free drink from a keg of porter by boring a small hole through the bung, inserting a goose quill and sucking some of the contents.’
- ‘The Chairman said a fine of 5s would be imposed, and he hoped it would be a lesson to other carters, for any further case would be more strictly dealt with.’
- ‘He reminded carters that Mintaro was a very desirable place as there was an abundance of feed and water.’
- ‘One of the first cuts made was a lowering in the price paid for wood delivered at the mine by carters and cutters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.