One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tree of the soapberry family, native to southeast Asia, that threatens mangrove swamps and other habitats in the US because of its invasive habit.
- ‘Brazilian pepper, carrotwood and ear leaf acacia were cut down, and their stumps were treated with herbicide.’
- ‘If you have an open lawn area the carrotwood is a good choice.’
- ‘Langeland observes that carrotwood is especially a problem in low moist areas.’
- ‘Ten of these plants are not officially banned by the state of Florida, carrotwood being the exception.’
- ‘A site in northern Palm Beach County is being overgrown by Brazilian pepper; another jacquemontia colony was nearly destroyed between 1970 and 1991 by an expanding stand of carrotwood.’
- ‘The canopy of the furthest north carrotwood touches the canopy of a Carob tree.’
- ‘Some properties are landscaped with coral trees and carrotwoods.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.