One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A soft slipper whose upper part is made of wool or thick cloth.
- ‘A letter had arrived some weeks earlier advising us to bring carpet slippers, but it wasn't until we stepped over the threshold of our Dorset idyll that we began to comprehend why.’
- ‘In fact you can even play poker on the Internet in your dressing gown and carpet slippers, and your opponents will be none the wiser!’
- ‘The next day his father Carlton, who was in the Merchant Navy, went to work in carpet slippers, the only footwear not destroyed.’
- ‘She was also greeted with the sight of an elderly male patient, clad only in carpet slippers and a very badly fastened theatre gown, clutching his fag in one hand and his mobile drip stand in the other.’
- ‘Holmes was shaking out his dripping overcoat and changing into his carpet slippers.’
- ‘Equally, many men in mid-life refuse to conform to the physical stereotype of the beery middle-aged spread, cardigan and carpet slippers, and are happy to play along with the notion that they are only as old as they feel.’
- ‘He is at an age and stage where he should be pulling up the armchair and settling into his favourite carpet slippers.’
- ‘This evening, I shall be wearing my carpet slippers and smoking my pipe.’
- ‘The Bacteriologist, hatless, and in his carpet slippers, was running and gesticulating wildly towards this group.’
- ‘I picked up a new pair of trainers, some carpet slippers (the kitchen tiles are COLD in the morning) and a new winter jacket.’
- ‘One of the new lads, bless his heart, eschewed the military regulation black, highly polished boots, and habitually turned up for parade in his carpet slippers.’
- ‘I'm not a carpet slippers and pipe man, and I'm looking forward to making a success of this latest venture.’
- ‘Beneath it, jammed into carpet slippers, were a pair of moon-white legs.’
- ‘As wide as she was tall, the woman was wearing a badly stained, purple house dress and shabby carpet slippers.’
- ‘All have their individual touches, from Laura Ashley curtains to carpet slippers.’
- ‘Denn lit a candle, put on a pair of carpet slippers, and took his caller downstairs to the cellar.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.