One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A drab moth related to the clothes moth, the larvae of which feed on coarse textiles and animal hair.
- ‘The third moth is the carpet moth that I believe was lurking under my friend's carpet.’
- ‘The term ‘clothes moth’ is properly used in connection with the webbing clothes moth, the casemaking clothes moth, and the tapestry or carpet moth.’
- ‘Of the 10,000 or so known species of moth in North America, only three dine on wool: the webbing clothes moth, the casemaking clothes moth, and the carpet moth.’
- ‘The barberry carpet moth is now fully protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act.’
- ‘They are already partners in two successful captive breeding projects for rare British insects - the barberry carpet moth and the British field cricket.’
- ‘These are not the carpet moths that feed on the fibers in rugs.’
- ‘There were suggestions to get rid of carpet moths and bed bugs.’
- ‘The first room we got had very bad mould on the air conditioning unit, the unit was dripping - and there were carpet moths.’
- ‘In the privacy of the home, the homemaker has been, and is, confronted with an endless array of damaging household pests including carpet moths, case-making clothes moths, webbing clothes moths, Mediterranean meal moths, and Indian meal moths.’
- ‘Not only will this enhance your carpet's appearance, but it will also minimise the likelihood of carpet moths or carpet beetles establishing themselves.’
- ‘The life cycle of the carpet moth is very similar to the life cycles of other fabric moths.’
- ‘The information on carpet moths is somewhat contradictory about whether and what they might eat.’
- ‘The new slim line clothes moth traps use a non-toxic pheromone based sticky pad to attract and catch carpet moths and brown house moths.’
- ‘This insect has pale gray forewings with many cross-lines and bands of color in a pattern characteristic of many of the Larentiinae or so-called carpet moths.’
- ‘Getting rid of carpet moth: treat the carpet with insect spray (roach killer works fine) then get the whole carpet washed professionally.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.