Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A painful condition of the hand and fingers caused by compression of a major nerve where it passes over the carpal bones through a passage at the front of the wrist, alongside the flexor tendons of the hand. It may be caused by repetitive movements over a long period, or by fluid retention, and is characterized by sensations of tingling, numbness, or burning.
- ‘And then there are the health worries of carpal tunnel syndrome, repetitive strain injury and back problems.’
- ‘Too much typing is often blamed for carpal tunnel syndrome, the painful wrist problem caused by a compressed nerve.’
- ‘No matter which input device you use, take special care in keeping your wrists from bending upward to help avoid carpal tunnel syndrome and other wrist maladies.’
- ‘This patient had no previous history of carpal tunnel syndrome or evidence of inflammatory arthritis.’
- ‘The company also claims that eye strain is replacing carpal tunnel syndrome as the major complaint of office workers.’
- ‘Compression of the median nerve at the wrist often results in carpal tunnel syndrome, which is a common condition, particularly in women.’
- ‘Tests for tendinitis and carpal tunnel syndrome were negative.’
- ‘Conditions that benefit from acupuncture include neck pain, menstrual cramps, migraines, carpal tunnel syndrome and kidney stones.’
- ‘An injury or repetitive wrist movement usually causes carpal tunnel syndrome, characterized by weakness and pain in the hand and wrist due to pressure on the median nerve.’
- ‘Overuse of the hands can lead to three main complications: aggravation of existing arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome and tendinitis.’
- ‘The cause of Adams' pain was carpal tunnel syndrome, a condition that can cause pain and numbness in the wrists, hands and arms.’
- ‘We are also establishing clinical pathways for common hand conditions, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, to help remove the backlog of patients waiting to be seen in the orthopaedic clinics.’
- ‘Patients with carpal tunnel syndrome should avoid repetitive wrist and hand motions that may exacerbate symptoms or make symptom relief difficult to achieve.’
- ‘Finally, the usefulness of the clinical neurological examination is being systematically analysed in specific conditions, such as migraine and carpal tunnel syndrome.’
- ‘Employees who perform most of their work on a computer completed a questionnaire on the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.’
- ‘For four years, ever since his wife had to stop working because of a degenerative bone disease and carpal tunnel syndrome, the family has lived on a tight budget.’
- ‘If the patient is pregnant or obese, reassure her that carpal tunnel syndrome will probably improve on losing weight.’
- ‘The breathing and relaxation methods used in yoga might help you if you have asthma, carpal tunnel syndrome, osteoarthritis or memory problems.’
- ‘This can decrease operator fatigue, which can lead to carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive-stress injuries.’
- ‘Alterations in fluid balance may predispose some pregnant women to develop carpal tunnel syndrome.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.