One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of mainly yellow, orange, or red fat-soluble pigments, including carotene, which give color to plant parts such as ripe tomatoes and autumn leaves. They are terpenoids based on a structure having the formula C₄₀H₅₆.
- ‘Another class, the carotenoids, creates the orange color of carrots and pumpkins.’
- ‘Without carotenoids in the diet, animals, including ourselves, would suffer serious vision defects and potentially blindness.’
- ‘This color reveals the presence of yellow, orange and red pigments known as carotenoids.’
- ‘Birds such as goldfinches, orioles, and cardinals owe their colorful plumages to carotenoids.’
- ‘The yellow colour comes largely from carotenoids, which hens get from plant foods, or lutein, which is added to feeds specifically to colour egg yolk.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.