One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a class of mainly yellow, orange, or red fat-soluble pigments, including carotene, which give color to plant parts such as ripe tomatoes and autumn leaves. They are terpenoids based on a structure having the formula C₄₀H₅₆
- ‘The yellow colour comes largely from carotenoids, which hens get from plant foods, or lutein, which is added to feeds specifically to colour egg yolk.’
- ‘Another class, the carotenoids, creates the orange color of carrots and pumpkins.’
- ‘Without carotenoids in the diet, animals, including ourselves, would suffer serious vision defects and potentially blindness.’
- ‘Birds such as goldfinches, orioles, and cardinals owe their colorful plumages to carotenoids.’
- ‘This color reveals the presence of yellow, orange and red pigments known as carotenoids.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.