1An animal that feeds on flesh.
- ‘The toes are very narrow, suggesting that the animal was a carnivore.’
- ‘Being omnivores, early human beings evolved in an environment in which they scavenged and hunted other animals for survival, just as other omnivores and carnivores do.’
- ‘The carnivores feed on annelids, crustaceans, and fish.’
- ‘Additionally, grasslands began to spread, and this led to an evolutionary radiation of open habitat herbivores and carnivores.’
- ‘Plants also feed the marine life and animals the carnivores among us eat.’
- ‘They included small, agile two- and four-legged forms, large four-legged carnivores, armored herbivores, and crocodile-like aquatic reptiles.’
- ‘In their turn the herbivores are eaten by carnivores or by scavengers and, eventually, all organisms are broken down by bacteria into nutrients that return to the environment.’
- ‘Salamanders are carnivores, feeding on insects, worms, and similar prey.’
- ‘The natural world requires a balance of carnivores, omnivores and herbivores.’
- ‘Seals and marine birds are also carnivores that dine at or near the top of the food chain (as did the extinct marine reptiles).’
- ‘The plants supported a variety of large and small herbivores that in turn were prey for carnivores and scavengers.’
- ‘‘Salmon, for example, are carnivores, and are fed pellets made from other fish,’ the Suzuki Foundation explains.’
- ‘Copper rockfish are opportunistic carnivores that feed mainly on organisms present near the ocean floor, usually crabs, mollusks and other fish.’
- ‘Feeding on them are microscopic and macroscopic herbivores, with carnivores preying on them.’
- ‘Just as carnivores eat meat and herbivores eat plant matter, frugivores subsist primarily on fruit.’
- ‘The rich fossil record from the early Eocene Bighorn Basin includes the remains of the most ancient primates, hoofed animals, and carnivores.’
- ‘A total of 6,000 fish insects, amphibians, birds, carnivores, and primates live at the zoo, half of which are rare animals protected by the government.’
- ‘Yet a new study shows that some invertebrate carnivores choose their prey carefully, day by day.’
- ‘The tiger is a top-level carnivore and if the animal and its habitat are protected, naturally all the micro flora and fauna and dependent animals in the habitat will get protection.’
- ‘During this time, all the big herbivores and carnivores were great lumbering creatures; some of which may have been semi-aquatic, while others were fully terrestrial.’
- 1.1Zoology A mammal of the order "Carnivora"
- ‘But wildlife experts believe that the pine marten - the second-rarest carnivore in Britain after the wild cat - has returned to the North York Moors.’
- ‘Spotted hyenas are gregarious carnivores that live in social groups, called clans, composed of multiple matrilines of adult females and their offspring, as well as one or more adult immigrant males.’
- ‘Fish owls, jungle cats, civets (a carnivore related to the mongoose), and even house cats are reported to eat them.’
- ‘Small carnivores such as mongoose and crows pose a threat to the night heron chicks.’
- ‘Most drumming mammals are rodents, but drumming has also been described in carnivores, deer, rabbits, elephant shrews and marsupials.’
Mid 19th century: from French, from Latin carnivorus (see carnivorous).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.