Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Mexican cooking) braised or roasted pork served shredded in small pieces, often as a filling in tacos, burritos, etc.‘the carnitas had a great grilled flavor that melted in your mouth’
- ‘Everything we tried on our recent visit was delicious, particularly the slow-roasted pork carnitas, the spit-roasted chicken and the grilled corn.’
- ‘Beach Burrito Cafe has recently added carnitas to their menu - my current fave burrito there.’
- ‘But is it possible to get great carnitas in a restaurant where you can actually sit down, hear some music and maybe get a margarita or two?’
- ‘Besides, you could get pork carnitas at the grocery, already marinated and ready to go.’
- ‘If you are into Mexican food they serve menudo, fajitas, various types of tacos, enchiladas, carnitas, rice, beans and more.’
- ‘The carnitas - as either a burrito or alone - are fantastic.’
- ‘In the town of Tepatitlan in Jalisco, Mexico, he discovered the secret to delicious carnitas.’
- ‘With Ms. Bearden as guide and companion, I go from a shrimp taco to pork carnitas on a bun to stewed goat meat in a bowl, called birria.’
- ‘My preference is usually for the carnitas (marinated and pulled pork) but the steak is almost equally delicious.’
- ‘The carnitas had the right flavour, but £12 for a good deal of fat was a bit steep.’
Mexican Spanish, literally little pieces of meat.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.