(of bones or teeth) decayed.
decaying, decayed, crumbling, carious, blackView synonyms
- ‘Discoloration of a single tooth is usually because the tooth is non-vital, heavily filled, or carious.’
- ‘Practitioners were skilled in restoring carious teeth with gold and replacing missing teeth with false ones.’
- ‘Treatment involves removal of the carious tissue and placement of a dental restoration, or filling.’
- ‘Treatment includes an oral examination, cleaning, topical fluoride application, restoration of carious teeth, pulp therapy, and, when necessary, tooth extraction.’
- ‘Regular dental examinations with early treatment of carious lesions can substantially reduce the risk of serious complications.’
Mid 16th century: from Latin cariosus (see caries).