Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A cardigan.‘a pink cashmere cardie’
- ‘If it is a sunny day, we may have to put on a cardie.’
- ‘Don't wear them with a long cardie like you did with skinny jeans.’
- ‘Because it was radio, he could presumably turn up for work in an old cardie.’
- ‘This season's dress or pretty skirt and cardi will travel well from day wear to night-time.’
- ‘If it's not a heatwave outside, a cardy and/or fleece, and maybe a brolly, are probably a good idea for the homeward journey.’
- ‘It works for pottering around in barefoot at home or layered up with thermals, tights and a cardie for winter workdays.’
- ‘On a cold day, I often long to offer them my cardie to stop them from turning blue.’
- ‘I am making one of the larger sizes, because I wanted to wear a top under the cardi comfortably.’
- ‘I sighed and said I would just have to bring an old cardy in.’
- ‘He was wearing his beige cardy.’
- ‘I saw this little cardi, and thought it would be so great for her!’
- ‘The nights are drawing in, but you may not be ready for big cardies and bowls of plum crumble just yet.’
- ‘Had he not always been swathed in white robes, you could have imagined him in a cardie, pottering round his vegetable patch with his little grandson.’
- ‘Are you man enough for a cardie?’
- ‘Wear with a mannish shirt tucked in or a fitted cardi or knit.’
- ‘My big find was this great cardi.’
- ‘Thrift stores also have great old jewelry that can be sewn or glued on to cardies or shoes for an amazing, unique look.’
- ‘The homely cardie, unfortunately, is a necessary evil in our depressingly cold and damp northern climate.’
- ‘I was wearing a cardy earlier.’
- ‘My children will be wearing slippers and cardies and getting old before me.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.