One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who cheats at cards in order to win money.
- ‘These interminable stretches of consequence-free juvenile mayhem were interspersed with occasional moments of interest, such as the charismatic card sharp.’
- ‘People enjoyed laughing at the foolishness of spoiled young men being outwitted by card sharps.’
- ‘What we're faced with are psychic sharps, like card sharps: sleight of hand, sleight of mind.’
- ‘In short: is the world's greatest deliberative body really filled with this many dim bulbs, card sharps and overstroked dolts who confuse a leaden pause with great rhetoric?’
- ‘In one corner of the room a card sharp was cheating a few men, and in another a long game of poker was going on.’
- ‘If you want to become a card sharp, watch out for these three nasty ‘plastic ploys’.’
- ‘After the pressure of speechmaking, Pauline, my partner for the night and I decided to try our hand at the table of the card sharp.’
- ‘The introduction of card sharp Remo may seem like an obvious attempt at stacking the deck, both figuratively and emotionally, but this is part of Argento's way.’
- ‘In my disturbed visions, Velvet Underground's ‘Sister Ray’ ran just 2: 30, one of Caravaggio's card sharps was missing a hat, and Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow became an impenetrable tangle of seemingly unrelated obscure references.’
- ‘They clearly did, since the young card sharp has already paid for her £150,000 house outright and owns a new £15,000 motor - bought for cash, naturally.’
- ‘So, you're a card sharp, Cassandra?’
- ‘It was also a great year for ‘stoozers’ - card sharps who borrow money on 0% credit cards and stick it in high-interest savings accounts to earn ‘free’ interest.’
- ‘ONE PLUS ONE is the story of David Coulson, agent of an unnamed power, who saunters into town on a mission to ensure that Eddie, a young and arrogant card sharp, meets his Date with Destiny.’
- ‘I hope that this article has helped you to become a better card sharp!’
- ‘When Caravaggio painted the gypsy fortune tellers and card sharps of the city streets, other artists followed.’
- ‘The two themes have been a constant in his movies, control going hand-in-hand with regret, from Jason Bourne to Will Hunting and Mike McDermott, the card sharp in Rounders.’
- ‘Jean decides to charm Pike out of everything he's worth, but falls in love with him in the process, an obvious no-no in the world of card sharps.’
- ‘Wily showbiz veteran Chip Taylor wrote Wild Thing and worked as a professional card sharp, but he never made a smarter move than teaming up with Texan fiddler Carrie Rodriguez.’
- ‘It all reminds one of what Patrick Kavanagh once angrily described as ‘all the card sharpers of the provincial arts committees’.’
- ‘My own near equivalent is to know rather more about the techniques of conjurors and card sharps than might be expected.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.