One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Having the potential to cause cancer.
- ‘Vitamin C is an antioxidant, and it also inhibits the formation of carcinogenic nitrosamines from dietary amines and nitrites.’
- ‘At least 60 of the chemicals in a puff of smoke are carcinogenic, meaning they may cause cancer.’
- ‘Some of them are carcinogenic, and some of them also cause neurological and reproductive health problems.’
- ‘In this study by IARC, other known carcinogenic substances in solid wood were not identified.’
- ‘One family of mycotoxins, the aflatoxins, are carcinogenic and immunotoxic and cause growth retardation in animals.’
- ‘The World Health Organization has concluded that cannabis, when smoked, is twice as carcinogenic as tobacco.’
- ‘Each carcinogenic mixture acts as a unique entity to produce its own specific cancer cluster.’
- ‘For example, it was claimed that the study presented uniquely reliable evidence that simvastatin is not carcinogenic.’
- ‘He's spent a fair bit of his career describing how carcinogenic the sun is.’
- ‘They've got a carcinogenic potential and the potential to suppress the immune system.’
- ‘The risk of a carcinogenic effect of a substance can be assessed by 1 of several mathematical models.’
- ‘This highlights the carcinogenic potential of AA in human beings.’
- ‘Many studies strongly support the premise that oxidative stress plays an important role in this carcinogenic process.’
- ‘It is the carcinogenic compounds in the tar which are the serious hazard to health, and some, but not all, of these compounds are removed by the filters.’
- ‘Among them, ionizing radiation and genotoxic chemicals with carcinogenic potential play an important role.’
- ‘Airline pilots are occupationally exposed to cosmic radiation and other potentially carcinogenic elements.’
- ‘Apart from their well known carcinogenic action on the liver, they also impair growth and the development of the immune system in children.’
- ‘It has been shown to be teratogenic and carcinogenic in rodents.’
- ‘The authors say that cotinine is a poor biomarker of carcinogenic risk.’
- ‘There aren't a lot of good in vitro methods to predict carcinogenic potential.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.