Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The initiation of cancer formation.
- ‘Finally, reinitiating lung growth may increase susceptibility to carcinogenesis and metastasis.’
- ‘Reduction in induced carcinogenesis by various chemical carcinogens has been well documented.’
- ‘Its role in carcinogenesis also merits further study.’
- ‘An altered apoptotic response represents a pivotal feature of cancer, contributing to carcinogenesis and resistance to therapy.’
- ‘Thus, the association of reactive oxygen species both in carcinogenesis and in cancer progression has been shown in numerous investigations.’
- ‘Chemoprevention of cancer aims to prevent, arrest, or reverse either the initiation phase of carcinogenesis or the progression of neoplastic cells to cancer.’
- ‘If accepted, this altered view of cervical carcinogenesis will reshape clinical practice in the next few years.’
- ‘And mutagenicity is of course a bad thing, because increased DNA damage is generally held to be a factor in carcinogenesis.’
- ‘Digital cellular phones and cordless phones have not been in use for as long as analog phones in Sweden, and this might be of importance for carcinogenesis.’
- ‘One of the principal mechanisms of the anticarcinogenic activity of tea is inhibition of the initiation stage of carcinogenesis.’
- ‘Oranges are rich in vitamin C, an antioxidant that may prevent oxidative damage to DNA, thus protecting against carcinogenesis.’
- ‘DNA adduct formation is a critical event in mutagenesis and in the initiation of carcinogenesis.’
- ‘It is not possible to say anything about the risk of cancer because it takes decades to disclose chemical carcinogenesis in human beings.’
- ‘Establishment of an early and reliable biomarker for oral carcinogenesis will enable early diagnosis of cancer.’
- ‘Among treatment-related causes, radiation-induced carcinogenesis has been well recognized for nearly a century.’
- ‘For biliary duct cancers, p53 gene mutation is an important contributor to carcinogenesis.’
- ‘Further characterization of the function of these genes in lung carcinogenesis may lead to the development of novel targeted therapies.’
- ‘This pattern of expression suggests that cyclin DI overexpression may be an early event in endometrial carcinogenesis.’
- ‘The temporal transition of a mucosal cell from a normal state to dysplasia and eventually carcinoma can be explained by the multistep theory of carcinogenesis.’
- ‘While animal studies have suggested an aetiological role for high fat intake in colorectal carcinogenesis, such evidence is very hard to extrapolate to humans living freely.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.