Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a vehicle or engine) having fuel supplied through a carburetor, rather than an injector.
- ‘Warranties currently in effect will continue until their original expiration dates, two years from the date of sale for fuel-injected engines and one year from the date of sale for carbureted engines.’
- ‘The defending All Motor champion's new, carbureted, two-rotor-powered RX - 7 experienced fuel-delivery problems that kept him from the winner's circle.’
- ‘The wonderful roar of the carburetted Kawasaki ram-air engine made the hairs on your neck stand up.’
- ‘The first 1952 Twin Bonanzas were fitted with a pair of geared, carbureted, 260-hp Lycoming engines, but the last five years of model - 50 production featured power escalated to 340 hp/side.’
- ‘The traditional boat ‘kicker’ is a carbureted two-stroke engine ranging from 2 hp to 300 hp, and even higher horsepower for specially tuned racing engines.’
- ‘He has spent the last 16 years designing the truly revolutionary Race Pump for carbureted small-block Chevy engines.’
- ‘The front brake pads were visible through the slots in the 12-in, wheels, which made it easy to determine when new ones were needed, and the carbureted pushrod motor - which produced a claimed 88 hp - was bog-simple.’
- ‘Now, according to Mercury, carbureted engine owners no longer have to suffer this fate with their new ‘Turn Key Start’ or TKS system, which promises consistent and instant cold starts.’
- ‘The carbureted entry recorded bests of 8.46 and 176 mph in 1960, and though it was upgraded with fuel injection for the 1961 and 1962 seasons, it never exceeded its earlier performances.’
- ‘The big cabin offered more space than a Bonanza or even a Mooney, while the carbureted Lycoming O - 360 pushed the airplane along at 135 to 140 knots.’
- ‘As for carbureted versus factory fuel-injection engines, there are advantages and disadvantages to both.’
- ‘It's amazing that the huge U.S. Nationals crowd, perhaps jaded by the spectacle of 320-mph Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars, would take such an interest in these now-antique, carbureted factory hot rods!’
- ‘The engine is still carbureted, the flaps remain manual, the prop is fixed and the basic airplane is very much the same machine it has been since Piper switched from the Hershey-bar wing to the semi-tapered Warrior airfoil in 1976.’
- ‘Such a situation may be okay in a carbureted gas engine (these cars leave the line on an rpm chip), but it is devastating to blown alcohol engines, especially at 10,000 rpm, and can cause severe damage.’
- ‘It is safe for turbos, oxygen sensors, and catalytic converters and is suitable for use in fuel-injected, carbureted, throttle-body, and rotary engines.’
- ‘Though many of the original Funny Car pioneers switched back to carbureted Super Stockers, Grove learned how to run a supercharged engine with great skill.’
- ‘In the old days, when cars were carbureted, there was some truth to the warning against restarting frequently.’
- ‘An inspection and possible repair of the O-ring must be performed on certain carbureted models.’
- ‘Thirty-two years after seeing Garlits run 200 with a supercharged nitro-burning dragster, Rossi's carbureted, gas-burning A / Altered ran 200 at Maryland's Cecil County Dragway in 1996.’
- ‘And the ‘84 and ‘85 carbureted models were the worst.’
Early 19th century: from archaic carburet carbide + -ed.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.