One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting the fifth period of the Paleozoic era, between the Devonian and Permian periods.
- ‘The surface structure, especially in the Zilair Nappe and the Carboniferous and Permian sediments that form the frontal structure in the west, is well constrained by field data.’
- ‘The Cretaceous rocks that occupy the southern part of the block between the TLF and fault A are partly overthrust by those of Carboniferous age in a SW direction.’
- ‘The northern margin of the fold-thrust belt is composed of sedimentary sequences of Middle to Upper Devonian and Carboniferous rocks.’
- ‘Fossils of the group are mostly Cenozoic, though some Permian and Carboniferous fossils are also known.’
- ‘The polarity of the postulated Carboniferous subduction at Alexander Island is unknown.’
- 1.1as noun The Carboniferous period or the system of rocks deposited during it.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.