One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(chiefly of rocks or sediments) consisting of or containing carbon or its compounds.
- ‘An additional sulphide-facies type was described as consisting of pyritic carbonaceous shale.’
- ‘The distinguishing feature of the lowermost sequence is the presence of coal or carbonaceous shale within alluvial and lacustrine strata.’
- ‘Silicified carbonaceous schist and graphitic quartzite occur as lenses or layers with extremely variable thickness and are mostly confined to the immediate vicinity of ultramafic rock units.’
- ‘It was intruded into a succession of thinly bedded sandstones and carbonaceous silt and mudstones.’
- ‘This facies commonly occurs associated with carbonaceous shale and laminated sandstone.’
- ‘The Anna Shale was then slowly deposited under restricted marine conditions; it is highly carbonaceous and contains vascular plant fragments.’
- ‘This structure is very similar to kerogens found in carbonaceous meteorites.’
- ‘Cross-bedding, channel-fill structures, red colouration, carbonaceous material, desiccation cracks and raindrop pits indicate that these rocks were deposited in a terrestrial environment.’
- ‘These microfossils, found in bedded carbonaceous cherts, are estimated to be between 3.3 billion to 3.5 billion years old.’
- ‘The apparent increase of carbonaceous macrofossils through the Proterozoic Eon is likely a result of combined biological and environmental evolution.’
- ‘An exception may be its type locality in Colombia, where it occurs in veinlets and pockets in carbonaceous sedimentary units apparently distant from igneous rocks.’
- ‘Australian coals and associated carbonaceous sediments may thus well be oil source rocks in the Gippsland basin area and elsewhere in Australia.’
- ‘Other fossil seed, leaf, beetle, ostracod, snail and fish remains come from a carbonaceous siltstone that represents a local waterlogged habitat.’
- ‘The association of the cherts with carbonaceous sandstones and lacustrine shales in the Rhynie Cherts Unit indicates sinter deposition interrupted alluvial floodplain sedimentation of mud and sand.’
- ‘Some beds contain carbonaceous fragments, and the remains of large roots are found underlying thick coal beds.’
- ‘It is overlain by the lower shale member, which consists of interbedded carbonaceous shale and lignite that accumulated in coastal marsh and swamps landward of the shoreline.’
- ‘Based on meteorite studies, astronomers recognize that NEAs have diverse compositions, including silicate, carbonaceous and hydrocarbon-bearing, metallic, and ice-bearing materials.’
- ‘Sediments at Rick Forester are light gray carbonaceous sandy clays.’
- ‘In Proterozoic carbonaceous fossils, ultrastructural and biochemical characters are unavailable, and anatomical and reproductive structures are uncommon.’
- ‘Similarly, there exists the potential for finding ancient samples from Mars or even Venus, as well as unweathered carbonaceous chondrites.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.