Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The counteracting of carbon dioxide emissions with an equivalent reduction of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
- ‘Carbon offsetting was first made fashionable by the climate change company charity Future Forests, which started at the Glastonbury music festival five years ago.’
- ‘It says it is the first to incorporate carbon offsetting into the ticket-buying process.’
- ‘What do you think: are we being conned by carbon offsetting or is it a responsible way to reverse the effect our lifestyle has on the planet?’
- ‘Carbon offsetting supposedly allows people to compensate for the carbon emissions of activities like lights, electricity, car mileage.’
- ‘An information booth will raise awareness on the subject of carbon offsetting among participants; they will have the possibility to learn about the amount of emissions they caused.’
- ‘Is carbon offsetting a responsible way to reverse the effect our lifestyle has on the planet - or just a sop to our consciences?’
- ‘But in our third world, the marjority of the population wouldn't be prepared to pay for carbon offsetting.’
- ‘Rob Bell balances the myths and realities of carbon offsetting.’
- ‘I was trying to get to grips with the European carbon permit scheme, carbon offsetting and trading the other day.’
- ‘The escalating climate change crisis and the need to reduce carbon dioxide emissions have led to an explosion in schemes offering ` carbon offsetting '.’
- ‘British Airways already offers carbon offsetting on its website.’
- ‘Carbon offsetting may make us feel better about flying, but anyone who thinks it will save the planet - as the prime minister does - is dreaming.’
- ‘There are a number of organisations now offering carbon offsetting for companies and individuals, which simply neutralise your carbon footprint.’
- ‘Carbon offsetting allows people to compensate for the greenhouse gas emissions by purchasing credits from pollution-reduction projects.’
- ‘Is carbon offsetting an adequate mechanism to confront climate change?’
- ‘Environment groups claim carbon offsetting through tree-planting has become a fashionable way of showing concern for global warming but has little or no long-term effect.’
- ‘The founders swear there will be no talk about carbon offsetting or other long-term ideas but practical advice on how to improve an organisation's impact right now.’
- ‘I foresee a sweaty dystopia in which you will have to engage in carbon offsetting every time you make a trip to Waitrose.’
- ‘A spokesman for Friends of the Earth said: "Carbon offsetting is being promoted as an excuse to carry on flying."’
- ‘However, neither carbon offsetting nor individual lifestyle changes will halt climate change.’
carbon offsetting/ˌkärbən ˈôfsetiNG/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.