Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A colorless, odorless toxic flammable gas formed by incomplete combustion of carbon.
- ‘Food waste is turned into hydrogen, methane and carbon monoxide by the heat of the exhaust.’
- ‘Methylene chloride is converted into carbon monoxide when we breathe it in.’
- ‘When you are no longer exposed every day to nicotine, carbon monoxide, tar and other poisons, your body begins to repair the damage.’
- ‘Automotive emissions are a major source of ozone and carbon monoxide pollution.’
- ‘Here, breathe some carbon monoxide, it will make you feel all funny inside and you will throw up!’
- ‘It's only trees that sequester carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide from the polluted air.’
- ‘When you misuse gas appliances in this way, they can produce fatal amounts of carbon monoxide.’
- ‘Tar, nicotine and carbon monoxide are the major components of cigarettes.’
- ‘The researchers said it was not certain carbon monoxide and ozone were directly causing the defects.’
- ‘The official cause of death was given as poisoning by carbon monoxide, said to have come from a gas heater of Iranian origin.’
- ‘The company claims they burn brighter than sawdust logs and produce less carbon monoxide.’
- ‘The cells worked well initially, but any traces of carbon monoxide in the hydrogen fuel quickly poisoned the catalyst.’
- ‘Initial reports suggested he had died from carbon monoxide poisoning.’
- ‘No filtration is proposed for the emissions that would include carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide and lead.’
- ‘Other trace gases include methane, nitrous oxide, carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, and ozone.’
- ‘Obvious examples are water, methane, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and sulphur dioxide.’
- ‘This produces one molecule of biliverdin and one molecule of carbon monoxide.’
- ‘The tests measure the amount of carbon monoxide you breathe out.’
- ‘Burning of the blends also reduced carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide emissions.’
- ‘Earlier nicotine, carbon monoxide and tar were considered most harmful.’
carbon monoxide/ˈˌkärbən məˈnäksīd/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.