One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colorless, odorless toxic flammable gas formed by incomplete combustion of carbon.
- ‘The tests measure the amount of carbon monoxide you breathe out.’
- ‘The cells worked well initially, but any traces of carbon monoxide in the hydrogen fuel quickly poisoned the catalyst.’
- ‘This produces one molecule of biliverdin and one molecule of carbon monoxide.’
- ‘Other trace gases include methane, nitrous oxide, carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, and ozone.’
- ‘When you misuse gas appliances in this way, they can produce fatal amounts of carbon monoxide.’
- ‘The company claims they burn brighter than sawdust logs and produce less carbon monoxide.’
- ‘Methylene chloride is converted into carbon monoxide when we breathe it in.’
- ‘Here, breathe some carbon monoxide, it will make you feel all funny inside and you will throw up!’
- ‘Burning of the blends also reduced carbon monoxide and nitrogen oxide emissions.’
- ‘Automotive emissions are a major source of ozone and carbon monoxide pollution.’
- ‘Food waste is turned into hydrogen, methane and carbon monoxide by the heat of the exhaust.’
- ‘When you are no longer exposed every day to nicotine, carbon monoxide, tar and other poisons, your body begins to repair the damage.’
- ‘Obvious examples are water, methane, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, and sulphur dioxide.’
- ‘No filtration is proposed for the emissions that would include carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide and lead.’
- ‘Initial reports suggested he had died from carbon monoxide poisoning.’
- ‘Tar, nicotine and carbon monoxide are the major components of cigarettes.’
- ‘It's only trees that sequester carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide from the polluted air.’
- ‘The researchers said it was not certain carbon monoxide and ozone were directly causing the defects.’
- ‘The official cause of death was given as poisoning by carbon monoxide, said to have come from a gas heater of Iranian origin.’
- ‘Earlier nicotine, carbon monoxide and tar were considered most harmful.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.