One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The determination of the age or date of organic matter from the relative proportions of the carbon isotopes carbon-12 and carbon-14 that it contains. The ratio between them changes as radioactive carbon-14 decays and is not replaced by exchange with the atmosphere.
- ‘Nonetheless, carbon dating is not infallible because it (like all dating methods) makes some assumptions that cannot be tested.’
- ‘We are waiting for the results of carbon dating and uranium isotope dating to give us more information about how old the skull is.’
- ‘Secondly, the pertinent carbon dating of Dreyer's findings is apparently only accurate within 200 years.’
- ‘These techniques, unlike carbon dating, mostly use the relative concentrations of parent and daughter products in radioactive decay chains.’
- ‘The age of ancient petrified trees can be determined through carbon dating.’
- ‘In fact, carbon dating of fossils has even suggested that during the Precambrian period 850 million years ago, stromatolites appear to have been the dominant life forms on Earth.’
- ‘In the years after finding them, archaeologists did carbon dating on the relic only to get inconclusive results.’
- ‘So, explain how carbon dating can actually work with 100% accuracy.’
- ‘A highly sensitive method first developed for carbon dating, AMS quantifies isotopes with a detection limit of a few adducts in 10 nucleotides.’
- ‘Creationism has been discredited, however, by indisputable physical evidence - carbon dating, for example.’
- ‘And carbon dating isn't used to determine the age of the earth or of fossils, so it's pretty much irrelevant to the discussion.’
- ‘Extended tree ring chronology is not an independent confirmation/calibration of carbon dating earlier than historically validated dates, as has been claimed.’
- ‘Another team recently used carbon dating to estimate that glomalin lasts 7 to 42 years, depending on conditions.’
- ‘Does this mean that they now accept the 1988 carbon dating?’
- ‘But carbon dating suggested that the bone wasn't very old at all - it had likely only been around since the 19th century.’
- ‘The six skeletons were sent to Miami for carbon dating and scientists there found the bodies to date from between 340 BC and 100 AD.’
- ‘More accurate carbon dating has established that the court cairn type of tomb dates from around 4000 BC.’
- ‘Cassels says carbon dating, which always uses 1950 as the starting point, showed three main periods of hunting 100 years apart, going backwards in time from 450 years ago.’
- ‘The archaeologist said archaeo-magnetic dating, similar to carbon dating, could be used to accurately determine the age of any iron dug up.’
- ‘But carbon dating of the wood gave ‘ages’ of only about 200 years.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.