Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The determination of the age or date of organic matter from the relative proportions of the carbon isotopes carbon-12 and carbon-14 that it contains. The ratio between them changes as radioactive carbon-14 decays and is not replaced by exchange with the atmosphere.
- ‘Secondly, the pertinent carbon dating of Dreyer's findings is apparently only accurate within 200 years.’
- ‘We are waiting for the results of carbon dating and uranium isotope dating to give us more information about how old the skull is.’
- ‘But carbon dating suggested that the bone wasn't very old at all - it had likely only been around since the 19th century.’
- ‘In fact, carbon dating of fossils has even suggested that during the Precambrian period 850 million years ago, stromatolites appear to have been the dominant life forms on Earth.’
- ‘Creationism has been discredited, however, by indisputable physical evidence - carbon dating, for example.’
- ‘More accurate carbon dating has established that the court cairn type of tomb dates from around 4000 BC.’
- ‘The age of ancient petrified trees can be determined through carbon dating.’
- ‘Extended tree ring chronology is not an independent confirmation/calibration of carbon dating earlier than historically validated dates, as has been claimed.’
- ‘Does this mean that they now accept the 1988 carbon dating?’
- ‘So, explain how carbon dating can actually work with 100% accuracy.’
- ‘Nonetheless, carbon dating is not infallible because it (like all dating methods) makes some assumptions that cannot be tested.’
- ‘Cassels says carbon dating, which always uses 1950 as the starting point, showed three main periods of hunting 100 years apart, going backwards in time from 450 years ago.’
- ‘But carbon dating of the wood gave ‘ages’ of only about 200 years.’
- ‘And carbon dating isn't used to determine the age of the earth or of fossils, so it's pretty much irrelevant to the discussion.’
- ‘In the years after finding them, archaeologists did carbon dating on the relic only to get inconclusive results.’
- ‘A highly sensitive method first developed for carbon dating, AMS quantifies isotopes with a detection limit of a few adducts in 10 nucleotides.’
- ‘These techniques, unlike carbon dating, mostly use the relative concentrations of parent and daughter products in radioactive decay chains.’
- ‘Another team recently used carbon dating to estimate that glomalin lasts 7 to 42 years, depending on conditions.’
- ‘The six skeletons were sent to Miami for carbon dating and scientists there found the bodies to date from between 340 BC and 100 AD.’
- ‘The archaeologist said archaeo-magnetic dating, similar to carbon dating, could be used to accurately determine the age of any iron dug up.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.