Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Consume a large quantity of carbohydrates, especially in order to increase stores of glycogen in the muscles before taking part in a sporting event.‘it's not unusual for athletes to start carbo-loading in the week leading up to the race’
- ‘Hey, fun runner: tomorrow is takkie-to-tar day, so make sure you carbo-load tonight and get enough rest.’
- ‘I padded downstairs to the kitchen, put a bagel in the toaster-oven - my version of carbo-loading - and determined to stand outside for two or three minutes until I heard a ‘ding’ from the appliance.’
- ‘But before heading to the slopes, be sure to carbo-load at Winona's, purveyor of the best waffles and breakfast burritos in town.’
- ‘When you carbo-load, you need to match your energy and carbohydrate intake to your exercise level.’
- ‘Around three days before the event start carbo-loading with the special products found in all cycle and sports stores.’
- ‘It looks as though you're eating diddly-squat, but you end up carbo-loading like a triathlete before the race.’
- ‘In honor of tonight's hostilities - er, festivities - I started carbo-loading three hours ago.’
- ‘Linda Higgins ensured that carbo-loading would be good with her handing out her beautiful home baked brown bread for consumption by all.’
- ‘In fact, dehydration is far more likely to slow you down than energy loss, making water-loading far more important than carbo-loading, not to mention being easier.’
- ‘I carbo-load and begin hydrating two days before my long runs, and eliminate caffeine and sugar the day before.’
- ‘The trout arrived firm and fresh, and thankfully the portion of potatoes was of a suitable but not excessive size, so that I was not confronted with enough spuds to carbo-load for a marathon.’
- ‘I do believe I caught her carbo-loading when she should have been protein-boosting, but she brooks no criticism.’
- ‘Juliette, who was up for the Caledonian Challenge the next day and was desperate for some carbo-loading, decided to go for the wild mushroom linguini with shaved Parmesan and black truffle oil.’
- ‘Mornings, pace yourself on a spiderweb of trails through the Pisgah National Forest; after lunch, sit in on talks by Nike pros and carbo-load on fresh-baked bread in the dining hall.’
- ‘I also knew the importance of carbo-loading before meets.’
- ‘In preparation for my event, I've neglected numbers and carbo-loaded on beer.’
- ‘Two days before a game, I'll carbo-load with bread, pasta, and yogurt.’
- ‘You can carbo-load on jellybeans, bananas or brown rice - they are biochemically similar.’
- ‘On race day it was a 3: 00 am start, carbo-loading with creamed rice, race registration 5: 00 am, and the start was 6: 00 am.’
- ‘Several friends met me for dinner the night before to carbo-load.’
1980s: from carbohydrate + load.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.