One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic compound of the benzodiazepine class, used as an anticonvulsant and analgesic drug.
- ‘Drug interactions with phenobarbital, phenytoin and carbamazepine may lower tricyclic antidepressant levels.’
- ‘Other medications that have caused occasional interaction during the perioperative period include fentanyl, carbamazepine, and pentazocine.’
- ‘The most useful drugs are anticonvulsants, especially gabapentin and carbamazepine, and tricyclic antidepressants, especially amitriptyline.’
- ‘NAC may also lower serum levels of the anti-convulsant drug carbamazepine.’
- ‘The relative efficacy of benzodiazepines versus lithium, carbamazepine, verapamil, and valproic acid is unknown.’
1960s: from carbo- + amide, on the pattern of benzodiazepine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.