One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A salt or ester containing the anion NH₂COO⁻ or the group —OOCNH₂, derived from the hypothetical compound carbamic acid.
- ‘Five classes of pesticides were examined in the new study: phosphates, pyrethroids, halogenated hydrocarbons, carbamates, and endocrine disruptors.’
- ‘Nevertheless, carbamates, organophosphates and pyrethroids were the most used families of pesticides (Table II).’
- ‘Chemical studies of this plant led to the development of methyl carbamate insecticides.’
- ‘The formation of hemoglobin carbamate results in a reduced affinity of hemoglobin for O 2 thus favoring dissociation of bound oxygen in the tissues where the concentration of CO 2 is high.’
- ‘The harmful effects of many pesticides, such as organochlorines, organophosphates and carbamates, have led to the use of pyrethroids as alternatives.’
Mid 19th century: from carbamic (from carbo- + amide + -ic)+ -ate.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.