Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for carburetor
- ‘This is checked by peeking into the carb - when the engine is off!’
- ‘Next fit the reed valve, gaskets and the carb.’
- ‘Breathing through a Mikuni carb the engine generates 27 bhp and 21Nm of torque.’
- ‘The Air Density Index will tell us everything we need to know for carb jetting using a much simpler percentage scale.’
- ‘Soak the incorrect air filter in carb cleaner and use it to ignite all of the petroleum products.’
- ‘The carbs and Ram Air work wonderfully well, except when it's really cold.’
- ‘You had to first take off the air cleaners from the 6 double choke Weber carburettors, then take the carbs off, then take the inlet manifold off.’
- ‘Both Vic and Richie had been rather surprised when she had appeared in the parking lot after school late the summer before and asked if he knew where she could get her hands on a Rochester Quadrajet carb for under fifty dollars.’
- ‘Take a Ferrari, stick an old beat up two barrel carb on her and you're going nowhere fast.’
- ‘I recall with particular affection the time the carbs on our 1924 British Seagull iced up halfway across Plymouth Sound.’
- ‘The 100-hp Continental O - 200 engine at least seemed indestructible, even if it was susceptible to carb icing.’
- ‘Or does it only occur if systems of carb icing appear, such as roughness in the engine sound, loss of rpms, etc.?’
Dietary carbohydrates.‘all of our products are naturally low in carbs’[as modifier] ‘consumers are really watching their carb intake’
1980s: short for carbohydrate.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.