Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- short for carburetor
- ‘I recall with particular affection the time the carbs on our 1924 British Seagull iced up halfway across Plymouth Sound.’
- ‘This is checked by peeking into the carb - when the engine is off!’
- ‘The carbs and Ram Air work wonderfully well, except when it's really cold.’
- ‘Or does it only occur if systems of carb icing appear, such as roughness in the engine sound, loss of rpms, etc.?’
- ‘Both Vic and Richie had been rather surprised when she had appeared in the parking lot after school late the summer before and asked if he knew where she could get her hands on a Rochester Quadrajet carb for under fifty dollars.’
- ‘The Air Density Index will tell us everything we need to know for carb jetting using a much simpler percentage scale.’
- ‘Take a Ferrari, stick an old beat up two barrel carb on her and you're going nowhere fast.’
- ‘Next fit the reed valve, gaskets and the carb.’
- ‘Breathing through a Mikuni carb the engine generates 27 bhp and 21Nm of torque.’
- ‘You had to first take off the air cleaners from the 6 double choke Weber carburettors, then take the carbs off, then take the inlet manifold off.’
- ‘The 100-hp Continental O - 200 engine at least seemed indestructible, even if it was susceptible to carb icing.’
- ‘Soak the incorrect air filter in carb cleaner and use it to ignite all of the petroleum products.’
Dietary carbohydrates.‘all of our products are naturally low in carbs’as modifier ‘consumers are really watching their carb intake’
- ‘There is little metabolic advantage to manipulating the ratio of protein to carbs.’
- ‘Edamame, or soybeans, contain a balance of carbs, protein, and good fat, so your body burns them slowly and you avoid an afternoon slump.’
- ‘When we eat carbs, the glucose released into our bloodstream raises our blood-sugar, and sometimes gives us a blood-sugar rush.’
- ‘Yet, eating refined carbs with protein and fat buffers this insulin response.’
- ‘It offers a blend of healthy protein and energizing carbs, along with 19 essential vitamins and minerals.’
- ‘The bars are low in fat, with a moderate amount of protein and carbs and make a handy meal replacement, or can be eaten before sustained and intense mental activity.’
- ‘The combination of protein, carbs and fat provides satiety so you stay full longer.’
- ‘Cutting back on carbs can cut down cholesterol levels too.’
- ‘You're probably already aware that if you're looking to support your fat-loss goals, following a diet that's high in protein and low in carbs is a great approach.’
- ‘To keep blood sugar levels stable, include some protein, carbs and fats in each meal, and remember to have snacks.’
- ‘I want to model my cooking after the Lake Austin spa cuisine, including the right balance of carbs, protein and fat - not to mention portion size!’
- ‘I made the most of every calorie I consumed; everything was nutritious and full of fiber, protein and carbs.’
- ‘We are going to see if I can ‘health up’ by going macrobiotic - which is really sort of freaking me out because I have been ms. low carb/no carb for about a year.’
- ‘Most Americans eat less than one serving a day of whole-grain products, which are loaded with fiber, carbs, vitamins and minerals.’
- ‘It has 30 percent fewer carbs and higher protein than russet potatoes (the biggest selling variety in the United States).’
- ‘What you're looking for is a ready-to-drink protein shake that's high in figure-friendly protein, low in carbs, and low in fat.’
- ‘In our experience, no balancing of fats, carbs, and proteins will overcome the simple mathematics of overeating and not exercising.’
- ‘They were given either a placebo beverage, a carbohydrate solution or a carb / protein solution before and during the workouts.’
- ‘The only diet experts recommend is the sensible one: you know, protein, healthy carbs, low in fat, sugar and alcohol, high in fruit, veg and essential oils.’
- ‘No magic numbers, fancy formulas or special percentages of carbs, fats and proteins are necessary to reap the benefits of a smart lower-carb diet.’
1980s: short for carbohydrate.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.