One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A fast-running beetle of a family ("Carabidae") that comprises the predatory ground beetles.
- ‘Likewise, adults of many species of carabids and spiders would not even be present in mid-May.’
- ‘Despite the significance of carabids in orchard habitats there have been few published studies of species diversity in the 27,000 ha of Canadian tree fruit orchards.’
- ‘Some predation of click beetles by certain carabids will occur in pheromone traps left untended for 2-3 week periods late in the adult generations of A. obscunis and A. lineatus.’
- ‘Many garden pests are carabid food: cutworms, codling moth larvae, tent caterpillars, slugs, snails and cankerworms to name a few.’
- ‘Recent reports demonstrate the sophistication and accuracy with which these carabid beetles deliver a spray of hot quinones and steam to ward off predators.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Carabidae (plural), from Latin carabus, denoting a kind of crab.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.