One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Put (information) in compact form; summarize.
condense, shorten, reduce, abbreviate, abridge, summarize, precis, abstract, boil down, shrink, encapsulateView synonyms
- ‘Murray Street's ‘Rain on Tin’ was a euphoric rollercoaster ride that seemed to capsulize the band's entire career.’
- ‘Andy later capsulized it all in his ‘15 minutes of fame’ quip - which at the time was almost paradoxical, but soon described more ‘celebs’ than you could shake a remote at.’
- ‘The dialogue and art direction are outstanding, perfectly capsulizing New York mobsters in the 70's.’
- ‘For the purpose of this paper, a practitioner's view is taken to capsulize consolidation over the past 20 or so years.’
- ‘As the December 25 Time capsulized it, ‘A sizable number of critics, from law professors to some of the Court's own members, have attacked the ruling as… politically motivated.’’
- ‘They have capsulized their stories in magazine articles of how, growing up in Newark, New Jersey, they made a commitment to encourage each other on their journey to and through medical school.’
- ‘There's a pointless bit of audio folderol that capsulizes James Venable's score - does anyone watch a martial arts film for the score, for Pete's sake?’
- ‘Among the gathering crowd, roving bands of reporters snatch interviews and roll tape in an effort to capsulize the purpose of the ride for a future sound bite.’
- ‘In retrospect, I might have rebuffed him by using the correlation ‘Silence = Death’ devised by AIDS activists to capsulize my analysis of the effects of state sexual censorship.’
- ‘This neatly capsulizes the administration's ongoing depredations in Colombia, all under the shady banner of the war on drugs.’
- ‘Though he was on the phone, he was very forceful in denying Mitchell the ability to use the host's standard strategy of capsulizing the guest's position in order to move a two-sided debate forward.’
- ‘In other words, you would capsulize their response.’
- ‘Four great sayings, or mahavakyas, capsulize his message: Sarvam Sivam seyal, ‘Siva is doing it all; ‘Thanai ari, ‘Know thy Self by thyself; ‘Sarvam Sivamayam, ‘All is Siva; ‘and Summa iru, ‘Be still.’’
- ‘However, most prominent are The Star and The Voice which capsulize the happenings of the week.’
- ‘His character cannot be capsulized in a sound bite.’
- ‘I want you both to capsulize, each one of you, its mission for you.’
- ‘‘A failed attempt to capsulize a feeling’ proclaim the liner notes to the much-anticipated debut album from Straylight Run, the Taking Back Sunday spin-off fronted by John Nolan.’
- ‘He adds a new domain, the Behavioral Domain, which ‘capsulizes and summarizes the co-requisite objectives of the cognitive, affective and psychomotor domains’.’
- ‘I've been learning so much, it's hard to capsulize it.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.