Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or resembling goats.
- ‘His robe has come undone in the process, exposing his caprine lower half.’
- ‘Startled by the torchlight, their shallow caprine eyes gazed back in fear and incomprehension at the source.’
- ‘The level of certainty is highest for bovine clones, followed in decreasing order of certainty, by porcine, caprine, and ovine clones.’
- ‘A total of 34 microsatellite primers, polymorphic in their respective species, were selected in this study (30 bovine [Bos taurus], 2 ovine [Ovis aries], and 2 caprine [Capra hircus]).’
- ‘Even my law-and-order father loosens up, providing the appropriate barnyard noises that accompany the singing of Chad Gadya (‘One kid that father bought’ - of the caprine persuasion).’
- ‘I stared at his crazy caprine eyes for several long moments.’
- ‘Although the entire work shares stylistic traits, such as the rendering of caprine heads and lion's paws, that indicate a probable common production, the maker employed two separate artistic traditions.’
- ‘Kids get some as they grow, but the ‘teenagers’ - caprine heifers - get none until the last few weeks of pregnancy.’
- ‘For example, the portico's cornice, which in Egypt would exhibit cobra head uraei, is surmounted instead by a row of bearded caprine heads.’
- ‘Further evidence for ceremonial feasting is indicated by the presence of quantities of cattle and caprine bones in funerary contexts.’
- ‘Here the salesman gave a broad smile, an action that made him look more caprine than the beast on the line.’
- ‘She backed away, with what I guess was disgust, but the caprine expressions were always the hardest for me to fathom.’
Late Middle English: from Latin caprinus, from caper, capr- ‘goat’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.