Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Denoting a salad of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil.‘lunch featured a caprese salad and vegetable antipasto’
- ‘"The next step is to add a gene for mozzarella flavoring, and presto, you've engineered a caprese salad into a tomato."’
- ‘The Caprese bufala salad ($9.95) is a spiral of fresh tomatoes, arugula and buffalo mozzarella, accented by the ubiquitous extra virgin.’
- ‘She got ravioli, and I just got a caprese salad.’
- ‘A better choice might be a caprese salad layered with tissue-thin slices of proscuitto de Parma.’
- ‘Sweet roasted peppers formed the center of a Caprese salad ringed by generous slices of mozzarella, sweet basil and pale tomatoes.’
- ‘To the sounds of Pavarotti, we sampled the insalata caprese ($7) and a Caesar salad ($6).’
- ‘My charming dinner companion had the Cherry Caprese salad - cherry tomatoes, bruscetta, basil and mozzarella.’
- ‘The Italian classic, insalata caprese, has super-ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, fresh basil, and really good olive oil.’
- ‘I ordered "Caprese bread" on the theory that it could not be made without fresh ingredients.’
- ‘"It's a take-off on the caprese appetizer," he says.’
- ‘You couldn't find this five years ago, but now it seems every restaurant mixes in some form of Caprese dish.’
- ‘I was debating whether or not this recipe should go into the book, as there's probably a Caprese salad in every Italian cookbook around.’
- ‘The Caprese salad ($6) featured alternating slices of creamy mozzarella and thick tomato, sprinkled with basil and drizzled with olive oil.’
- ‘There are a few oddities, such as a Winter Caprese Salad (p.30), in which Mario uses plum tomatoes and fresh basil leaves.’
- ‘I made kind of a caprese salad with the local tomatoes and the basil, dressed them in Sicilian extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.’
- ‘The sweet, buttery buffalo mozzarella in the caprese salad is shipped from Italy and arrives at Grand Street less than a day old.’
- ‘Traditional Caprese salad ($6) has sweet, fresh bocconcini cheese, perfectly ripe tomatoes and pungent fresh basil.’
- ‘The panini are pretty good too, especially the one that manages to compress an entire insalata caprese into the space of a toasted sandwich.’
- ‘I packed a light dinner of caprese salad, crusty breads, fresh fruit, and cold roasted chicken.’
- ‘Even the tried-and-tired Caprese salad becomes an entirely new thing with slow-roasted tomatoes in place of raw.’
Italian, literally of Capri.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.