One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A territory containing the capital city of a country, in Australia, Nigeria, Pakistan, and elsewhere.
- ‘The country's administration is divided into the capital territory (the seat of government), the adjoining Kombo Saint Mary area, and the provinces.’
- ‘Each of the thirty-six states of the federation is represented equally in the Senate by three elected senators; the federal capital territory of Abuja has one elected senator.’
- ‘With more than 20 million votes counted in 21 of Nigeria's 36 states and the federal capital territory, Obasanjo had 66% of the votes compared with 27% for Muhammadu Buhari, a former ally.’
- ‘After the site was chosen for the capital territory in 1909, an international competition to plan the city was won by a Georgist, Walter Burley Griffin of Chicago, for whom Canberra's central lake is named.’
- ‘Teachers have now been fighting for 18 months to get the capital territory's Labor government to agree to their demand for pay equality.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.