One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A territory containing the capital city of a country, in Australia, Nigeria, Pakistan, and elsewhere.
- ‘With more than 20 million votes counted in 21 of Nigeria's 36 states and the federal capital territory, Obasanjo had 66% of the votes compared with 27% for Muhammadu Buhari, a former ally.’
- ‘Each of the thirty-six states of the federation is represented equally in the Senate by three elected senators; the federal capital territory of Abuja has one elected senator.’
- ‘The country's administration is divided into the capital territory (the seat of government), the adjoining Kombo Saint Mary area, and the provinces.’
- ‘Teachers have now been fighting for 18 months to get the capital territory's Labor government to agree to their demand for pay equality.’
- ‘After the site was chosen for the capital territory in 1909, an international competition to plan the city was won by a Georgist, Walter Burley Griffin of Chicago, for whom Canberra's central lake is named.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.