One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tax levied on profit from the sale of property or an investment.
- ‘By doing this you save all the income tax or capital gains tax you might otherwise have had to pay on your profits.’
- ‘Any rental income is taxable and any profit on the future sale of the property is subject to capital gains tax.’
- ‘Any eventual gains will then be shielded from capital gains tax.’
- ‘He would like your main residence to be exempt, as it is for capital gains tax.’
- ‘This is classed as a business investment, so it attracts business asset tax relief for capital gains tax.’
- ‘That way you don't forego the advantages of zero capital gains tax on that £7,000.’
- ‘If you give shares or property that have grown in value while you owned them, then capital gains tax may be due.’
- ‘We rely here, of course, upon the fact that capital gains tax was payable after 1985 by the vendor.’
- ‘The government will benefit from capital gains tax and stamp duty on the sales.’
- ‘Also, you don't have to pay capital gains tax on any shares you give to charity.’
- ‘Few would argue with the levels of corporation tax or capital gains tax.’
- ‘For basic-rate taxpayers, the only benefit is the freedom from capital gains tax.’
- ‘If I sell my house and leave that money to them will they have to pay capital gains tax on it?’
- ‘The final three are capital gains tax, taxation of small businesses and environmental taxes.’
- ‘And the slowing economy has also hit receipts from capital gains tax and from corporation tax.’
- ‘I live in Central New Hampshire, a State with no income, sales, or capital gains tax.’
- ‘And when the property is eventually sold it will be subject to capital gains tax.’
- ‘Separately, the chancellor announced a freeze on rates of corporation tax and capital gains tax.’
- ‘The ISA wrapper protects your investment from income tax and capital gains tax, which is a good thing for most investors.’
- ‘I infer from what you are saying that no attention at all was paid to the aspect of income tax or capital gains tax at the trial.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.