One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The tendency of a liquid in a capillary tube to rise as a result of surface forces.
- ‘The mechanism for joining by soldering involves three closely related factors: 1) wetting, 2) alloying, and 3) capillary attraction.’
- ‘That is, he wanted to rule out other types of attraction such as capillary attraction of water to a surface or a strongly polar surface.’
- ‘The filler metal is distributed between the closely fitted surfaces of the joint by capillary attraction.’
- ‘Recent research confirms that the adhesive effects are due to van der Waals forces rather than capillary attraction or suction.’
- ‘In physics we had things called teat pipettes, and they have a bit of capillary attraction in them so that fluid flows vertically upwards, sucked magically to higher levels.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.