One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A common petrel of southern oceans that has black plumage with white markings.
Daption capense, family ProcellariidaeAlso called pintado petrel
- ‘Wandering albatrosses, Wilson's stormy petrels, Cape petrels and brown-browed albatrosses (try saying that quickly!) kept us entertained us with their flights across the waves.’
- ‘But also additional data on the breeding ecology of the Snow petrel, the Cape petrel and the South polar skua will be collected.’
- ‘A couple of Australasian gannets, white-fronted terns, and two Cape petrels put in an appearance.’
- ‘They are often called Cape pigeons because they peck at the surface of the water (like a pigeon pecks at the ground) to get squid, krill, and fish.’
- ‘The population and breeding status of Cape petrel is satisfactory.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.