One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport of exploring a canyon by engaging in such activities as rappelling, rafting, and waterfall jumping.
- ‘I've been climbing for three years and partaking in sort of sports like this for probably five, like abseiling and canyoning.’
- ‘Slithering, clambering, and clawing through bush - literally bushwhacking - is unique to Blue Mountain canyoning.’
- ‘I was taking part in a race, the Mauritius Raid, four days of strenuous activity; mountain-biking, kayaking, canoeing, canyoning and rollerblading.’
- ‘Its Awesome Foursome weekend, based in the Austrian resort of Zell am See, in the Kitzbühler Alps, features white-water rafting, canyoning, mountain-biking and glacier-skiing.’
- ‘At its most basic, canyoning is following a river along its course through a gulley.’
- ‘A week of canyoning, canoeing, rafting, climbing and orienteering, with B&B accommodation by the beach at Stomio, costs £355 pp.’
- ‘John informs us that the only place in India where canyoning takes place is Dandeli.’
- ‘Optional add-ons include horse-riding, canyoning, and whale-watching in the Straits of Gibraltar.’
- ‘Though I was going to save bungee jumping, canyoning and the rest of the wild stuff for when I wasn't playing at being an Edwardian vicar, I had decided that paragliding was a must.’
- ‘Then we decided to take the walking a touch further, and in keeping with the terrain, we settled on an activity called canyoning.’
- ‘For more active visitors there's canyoning and mountain guides for hire, and for the less active there are plenty of waterside restaurants where you drink a glass of wine and read, or even write, a book.’
- ‘There are many things to do on the North Island, but we wanted to get to the south as quickly as possible. Our only major excursion in the North was a day's canyoning in the Piha Canyon just outside Auckland.’
- ‘Volley-type sandshoes are by far the best shoes for canyoning.’
- ‘I've been four times, and while there have enjoyed canyoning, deep-sea fishing, snorkelling in the reefs, several helicopter flights and wandering around the top of live volcanoes.’
- ‘Yet even the rugged gorge walks and canyoning of the interior cater for the luxury traveller.’
- ‘If you enjoy a day at the swimming pool, splashing down the flumes, think of canyoning as the 100% natural equivalent.’
- ‘AS I stood on the edge of the cliff, contemplating stepping off into freezing black water, I wondered if I'd seriously lost the plot when I agreed to try canyoning.’
- ‘As a result a number of teams were put through a three-day activity that used the disciplines of abseiling, canyoning and whitewater rafting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.