One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The sport of exploring a canyon by engaging in such activities as rappelling, rafting, and waterfall jumping.
- ‘Yet even the rugged gorge walks and canyoning of the interior cater for the luxury traveller.’
- ‘Optional add-ons include horse-riding, canyoning, and whale-watching in the Straits of Gibraltar.’
- ‘A week of canyoning, canoeing, rafting, climbing and orienteering, with B&B accommodation by the beach at Stomio, costs £355 pp.’
- ‘John informs us that the only place in India where canyoning takes place is Dandeli.’
- ‘I've been four times, and while there have enjoyed canyoning, deep-sea fishing, snorkelling in the reefs, several helicopter flights and wandering around the top of live volcanoes.’
- ‘Then we decided to take the walking a touch further, and in keeping with the terrain, we settled on an activity called canyoning.’
- ‘Slithering, clambering, and clawing through bush - literally bushwhacking - is unique to Blue Mountain canyoning.’
- ‘Though I was going to save bungee jumping, canyoning and the rest of the wild stuff for when I wasn't playing at being an Edwardian vicar, I had decided that paragliding was a must.’
- ‘At its most basic, canyoning is following a river along its course through a gulley.’
- ‘Its Awesome Foursome weekend, based in the Austrian resort of Zell am See, in the Kitzbühler Alps, features white-water rafting, canyoning, mountain-biking and glacier-skiing.’
- ‘If you enjoy a day at the swimming pool, splashing down the flumes, think of canyoning as the 100% natural equivalent.’
- ‘There are many things to do on the North Island, but we wanted to get to the south as quickly as possible. Our only major excursion in the North was a day's canyoning in the Piha Canyon just outside Auckland.’
- ‘I was taking part in a race, the Mauritius Raid, four days of strenuous activity; mountain-biking, kayaking, canoeing, canyoning and rollerblading.’
- ‘Volley-type sandshoes are by far the best shoes for canyoning.’
- ‘For more active visitors there's canyoning and mountain guides for hire, and for the less active there are plenty of waterside restaurants where you drink a glass of wine and read, or even write, a book.’
- ‘As a result a number of teams were put through a three-day activity that used the disciplines of abseiling, canyoning and whitewater rafting.’
- ‘AS I stood on the edge of the cliff, contemplating stepping off into freezing black water, I wondered if I'd seriously lost the plot when I agreed to try canyoning.’
- ‘I've been climbing for three years and partaking in sort of sports like this for probably five, like abseiling and canyoning.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.