Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A Canadian (sometimes derogatory in US use)‘as a true Canuck, Hayden loves pizza’
- ‘It's comforting to know some of our neighbours are as self-doubting and dissident as us Canucks.’
- ‘Us Canucks run a huge trade surplus and the dollar is weak.’
- ‘The actors featured in the series are a mixture of Canucks and Aussies.’
- ‘Roots artist Kathleen Edwards was the only other Canuck besides Canadian-born Young on the bill this year.’
- ‘However, we Canucks are by nature so laid-back, how can it hurt for the music industry to get together and pat each other on the back?’
- ‘He introduced his three associates, likewise Canucks, all from Vancouver.’
- ‘Though Canucks, Heighton's heroes are filters for Western (read American) values and bias.’
- ‘Her theory of the Canadian identity hinges on that stereotype of the nice, law-abiding Canuck.’
- ‘Ninety-four per cent of Canucks believe that the world has a positive view of Canada.’
- 1.1dated A French Canadian.
Canadian.‘an impressive lineup of Canuck screen veterans’
- ‘This show is an incredibly funny, dead-on skewering of Canuck culture that is still beloved by Canadian fans as the finest episode the troupe ever did.’
- ‘Visions of mukluks and plaid flannel flood the mind when asked to describe Canuck chic.’
- ‘If you want a fun flick with a lot of laughs and a killer Canuck soundtrack, you will not be disappointed.’
- ‘With 26 Canadian feature films, Canuck flicks account for well over 10 per cent of the program, including a spotlight on mainstream Quebec cinema.’
- ‘We Canuck film critics are often accused of being too easy on local films.’
- ‘As Canuck as they've become though, they also had their other home in mind.’
- ‘This year from noon until 6 p.m., the City of Calgary will once again host a party to celebrate all things Canuck.’
- ‘Sharing a uniquely dry Canuck humour, Young and Mitchell had an easy rapport.’
- ‘I noticed there weren't very many Canuck flags flying around town today.’
- ‘The government offered funding assistance and tax incentives to films made in Canada and fulfilling specific Canuck criteria.’
Mid 19th century: apparently from Canada.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.