One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Little is known of the music of ancient times, though some elements are preserved in the traditional cantillation of the Torah and the older nusach, or forms of reading, for some of the prayers.’
- ‘But it also recalls Ashkenazic Torah cantillation.’
- ‘Golijov's writing for this part is loud and high: in his review of the Tanglewood premiere, Alex Ross compared the vocal writing for this part to a muezzin's cantillation, which is exactly how I would have described it.’
- ‘The religious Fourth Symphony synchretizes Gregorian and Orthodox chants, Lutheran chorales, and Jewish cantillation.’
- ‘We checked my book of Jewish folklore, which shows that the traditional cantillation tune for both the Torah and Haftorah is in B flat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.