One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Chant or intone (a passage of religious text).
repeat from memory, say aloud, read aloud, declaim, quote, speak, deliver, renderView synonyms
- ‘Augusta Levine tutors each child in learning how to cantillate the Torah and Haftarah with special emphasis upon the child's own Torah portion.’
- ‘As Kahn observes, the saxophone itself does the chanting - articulating and cantillating the word patterns of Coltrane's poem of praise and thanksgiving to his Creator.’
- ‘Because his family could not afford to pay for his education, he was sent to a religious school where he mastered the cantillating of the Koran.’
- ‘Father Anshel was good at cantillating the Book of Esther but hopeless at making money.’
- ‘They do at least agree that the tradition of cantillating the scriptures is a very old one, and was probably firmly established in tradition before the Massoretes began their work.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin cantillat- ‘hummed’, from the verb cantillare, from cantare (see chant).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.