One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bridge in which each span is constructed from cantilevers built out sideways from piers.
- ‘The main line extended from Port Moody to Cisco, 136 miles, where a steel cantilever bridge was being constructed over the Fraser River.’
- ‘A temporary wooden structure was built after the slip and later a concrete cantilever bridge.’
- ‘The steel cantilever bridge would lift off close to City Screen, York and land in the gardens on the opposite bank.’
- ‘From Spit Bridge - a cantilever bridge which opens twice a day to let tall-masted yachts pass underneath - the walk passes through a stand of lush vegetation and mudflats where heron hunt for fish.’
- ‘Krogman also claims that when our prehuman ancestors were walking on all fours, the skeleton was arched like a cantilever bridge with the trunk and abdomen representing the load suspended from the half-circle weight-balanced arch.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.