One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hinged metal hook at the end of a long handle, used for gripping and rolling logs.
- ‘In pre-pushbutton sawmill days, the cant hooks were used to roll the cant after a slab was cut off.’
- ‘Our old wooden handled cant hooks are hanging on the wall with the rest of the antiques.’
- ‘The ‘Peavey’ cant hook is a MUST-HAVE for handling logs.’
- ‘Once to the streamside, specialized tools like cant hooks, peaveys, or pikes were used to roll, push or pull logs into the water.’
- ‘Our cant hooks are made from special hardened steel and feature 2’ or 4’ long hickory handles.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.