One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An artilleryman who positioned and fired a cannon.
- ‘It was later in the Peninsular Campaign that taps were first played at a military funeral after an artillery cannoneer was killed in action.’
- ‘The divergence in success between the two black artillery battalions at Bastogne, nevertheless, does not detract from the stellar performance of the cannoneers.’
- ‘The allied army began preparations for the offensive, supported by the accurate bombardment of the British by the French cannoneers.’
- ‘The cannoneers of Lille recognized her as their saint in 1417, describing themselves as the ‘Confrères de Sainte Barbe’.’
- ‘He fought in the war as a British sailor and cannoneer for six years before he was seriously wounded during an engagement with a Dutch vessel.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.