One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Rolls of pasta stuffed with a meat or vegetable mixture.
- ‘The cannelloni with it were stuffed with barley, an interesting failure.’
- ‘The cannelloni stuffed with ricotta and spinach exhibited more neatness and care: three satiny rolls anointed with contrasting ribbons of its white and red sauces, beautifully presented nut brown and gratinated on a sizzling plate.’
- ‘Place three of the cannelloni in the center of a plate.’
- ‘Then in a baking tray place ½ the sauce, then a single layer of cannelloni.’
- ‘Roll up the ham slices like little cannelloni and spoon over some of the vinaigrette.’
- 1.1 An Italian dish consisting of stuffed rolls of pasta cooked in a cheese sauce.
- ‘The Italian presence has resulted in a great popularity for pasta dishes such as spaghetti, lasagna, cannelloni, and ravioli.’
- ‘Shards of crabmeat in a cannelloni studded with celery root and clams tasted sweeter because of a broth of red chili and thyme.’
- ‘Unfortunately I also had the cannelloni which was not as nice.’
- ‘The cannelloni was a tad dry and the risotto lacked the mixed vegetables promised in the menu, with only diced zucchini and a few pieces of red bell pepper.’
- ‘My favorite of the pastas was the veal cannelloni, dual torpedo tubes of ground veal, congealed in a creamy mushroom sauce, with flakes of Parmesan sprinkled on top.’
Italian, literally ‘large tubes’, from cannello ‘tube’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.