Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A teenage girl who does volunteer nursing in a hospital.
carer, caregiver, attendantView synonyms
- ‘I barely acknowledged smiles from orderlies, candy-stripers and nurses that recognized me.’
- ‘And it's a job a motivated candy-striper could handle.’
- ‘He spotted a candy-striper coming out of one of the rooms, holding a stack of towels in one arm and trying to balance them while she reached behind her to close the door.’
- ‘I'm a candy striper at a hospital once a week.’
- ‘He went in the same direction as the candy-striper and found her waiting for him around a turn in the hall.’
So named because of the candy-striped uniforms of such nurses.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.