Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of material or a garment) patterned with alternating stripes of white and another color, typically pink.
- ‘More colour was on offer at the ever-adventurous Japanese house Issey Miyake, which ended its carefully choreographed show with grass green, turquoise and fluorescent orange either in blocks or in candy-striped suits.’
- ‘Finally, how gorgeous do little girls look in candy-striped socks or tights?’
- ‘McCluskey is dressed in her usual eccentric and contrasting layers: a khaki combat jacket over a floaty, Hare Krishna-orange top and candy-striped pedal pushers.’
- ‘She had a short black shirt on, with candy-striped sleeves.’
- ‘Senior girls will now wear white shirts instead of candy-striped ones while junior girls have the option to wear shorts.’
- ‘I saw Sienna Miller wearing a candy-striped dress by him earlier this year, which I loved - if I hadn't already bought my wedding dress, I would have tried to get something similar.’
- ‘More conventional, but with a fair share of siren sexiness, were candy-striped Capri pant suits or a 1950s-style ruched jacket printed with little blue mermaids.’
- ‘A little showman in a candy-striped jacket and straw hat is dancing before an audience composed entirely of shrouded skeletons.’
- ‘Before 10 am a steady stream of cars carrying cardinals from around the globe arrived at the Vatican gates to be waved in by Swiss guards in their distinctive candy-striped uniforms.’
- ‘In the bouts which used regularly to be on television on Saturday afternoons Jackie Pallo was immediately recognisable for his peroxided hair, candy-striped Y-fronts and gold-spangled boots.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.