One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small edible marine fish with oily flesh, occurring on the west coast of North America.
Thaleichthys pacificus, family OsmeridaeAlso called eulachon
- ‘Both herring and candlefish can be imitated with Marabous or weighted or unweighted Clouser Minnows.’
- ‘In this case, many point their fingers at the shrimp trawler that operates off the coast, a trawler that doesn't want to stop fishing when the candlefish pass through.’
- ‘Dr. Hubbard stated ‘While recovering sediment cores at night we attracted an enormous school of baitfish, likely candlefish, with our ship's deck lights.’’
- ‘Gulls wheeled and screamed over the first slug of spawning candlefish.’
- ‘He'll then switch his lures to match the size of the candlefish, usually about 2 to 3 inches long.’
So named because the Chinook Indians formerly burnt the oily bodies of these fish as candles.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.