Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A yeastlike, parasitic fungus that can sometimes cause thrush.
- ‘The most common type is a yeast infection called candida, which is the same germ that causes thrush.’
- ‘Inability to absorb nutrients can lead to bloating, candida, gas, diarrhea and/or constipation, allergies, skin conditions and a host of other problems.’
- ‘I prescribed a diet to reduce candida and to avoid the worst allergens.’
- ‘According to conventional medicine, candida is one of the causes of urinary tract infections (UTIs).’
- ‘Long-term allergies, candida, yeasts, and functional imbalances can develop from even short-term use of antibiotics.’
- ‘You can also buy a single dose tablet of fluconazole from the chemist, to treat vaginal candida and balanitis caused by candida.’
- ‘It can be due to other infections, such as candida, which are not usually sexually transmitted.’
- ‘Opportunistic bacteria, other parasites, fungi and candida, are threats whenever the healthy bacteria diminish.’
- ‘In women this rash is more often caused by candida, a yeast.’
- ‘Other causes of bladder infections include parasites such as schistosomiasis (found in some hot countries), and fungi such as candida, which causes thrush.’
- ‘The luminous moulds will also be particularly useful for helping to develop new drugs against fungal diseases such as candida or thrush.’
- ‘Anything that destroys the good bacteria in your body that keeps candida under control can lead to thrush.’
- ‘It is becoming increasingly common for people to believe they have candida or yeast infections, causing a large variety of symptoms such as depression, tiredness, irritable bowel syndrome, aches and pains, skin diseases and so on.’
- ‘Honey has superb anti-microbial and antibacterial properties that include the ability to inhibit salmonella, E. coli, shigella, and candida.’
- ‘This has been shown to protect against high blood pressure, infections, candida, indigestion, stomach ulcers and bowel disorders.’
- ‘Foods that contain simple carbohydrates such as sugar not only promote poor health, they help create conditions in which candida thrives.’
- ‘Oral thrush (oral candidiasis) is caused by a fungus called candida that causes an infection in the mouth.’
- ‘Clotrimazole cream and pessaries are often used to treat vaginal thrush, caused by the fungus candida.’
- ‘Sugar, on its own, is not only tasty to us humans, but bacteria like it too - it can cause problems ranging from tooth decay to yeast infections, resulting from the growth of candida in the digestive tract.’
- ‘Fungi such as candida (which causes thrush) can also cause brain infections if they get into the brain or bloodstream.’
Modern Latin, feminine of Latin candidus ‘white’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.