Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Glowing with, or as with, heat.
shining, bright, brilliant, radiant, dazzling, glowing, gleaming, coruscating, scintillating, lustrous, luminescent, phosphorescent, incandescentView synonyms
- ‘The living room area requires light from a desk lamp, with a candescent or energy-saving bulb and giving off warm light.’
- ‘Another way to prevent global warming is by replacing the candescent bulbs in homes with compact fluorescent lamps (CFL).’
- ‘We created our own fixtures that included fluorescent and candescent lights to create a softer environment.’
- ‘She turned up at the shoot casually dressed in trousers and a top: a little girl with pallid yet candescent skin and cocoa-brown eyes, who stands just 5ft 3in high.’
- ‘If all candescent lights in China were replaced with energy-saving lights, 60 billion kilowatt hours of electricity could be saved every year.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.