Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of football played in Canada, derived from rugby but now resembling American football. There are twelve players on a side.
- ‘Well, the same cannot be said about the management of these two Canadian football clubs.’
- ‘At a national level it has hosted a range of events and is home to baseball's Trappers, Canadian football's Eskimos and ice hockey's Oilers.’
- ‘It also has the homes of the Expos baseball team and the Alouettes Canadian football team, and soon will have the Canadiens.’
- ‘Give it a couple of years and I think Canadian football will be in much better shape.’
- ‘The only other sport even roughly similar to this is American and Canadian football as played in North America.’
- ‘We'd just experienced the razzmatazz of Canadian football and third division football on cold, wet Saturday afternoons provided a stark contrast.’
- ‘Lord Grey presented the Grey Cup for Canadian football and Lord Minto the Minto Cup for lacrosse.’
- ‘In 1896 the size of the Canadian football field was set at 110 yards by 65 yards, it was also the year that the first rulebook was published by the CRU.’
- ‘When he came to town, we talked for almost two hours about American football and how Canadian football was better.’
- ‘In order to gain a grassroots appreciation of the Canadian football scene I have interviewed self-proclaimed football yokel Joe Klyne, who has played football since he was old enough to multiply by seven.’
- ‘He has also choreographed the half-time entertainment at Canadian football games.’
- ‘The rule is only applicable in Canadian football games.’
Canadian football/kəˌnādēən ˈfo͝otbôl/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.