Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A yellowish resin obtained from the balsam fir and used for mounting preparations on microscope slides.
- ‘The branchiobdellidans were dehydrated in a graded ethanol series, cleared in methyl salicylate, and then each individual was mounted in Canada balsam on a separate slide.’
- ‘Purkinje was the first to make glass slide mounts with Canada balsam.’
- ‘The tissue was then immobilized in either cork or wax and the tissue section mounted onto a glass slide using gum, glycerin, Venetian turpentine, and/or Canada balsam.’
- ‘Wings were dissected from adult flies, mounted in methylsalicylate and Canada balsam, and examined by brightfield microscopy with a Nikon Eclipse E800 microscope equipped with a x4 objective.’
- ‘Serial sections of the main axis, again of 10 m, were stained with toluidine blue (0.05% (w/v) in benzoate buffer) and dried prior to mounting with Canada balsam.’
- ‘Fy thoraces were frozen in liquid nitrogen, longitudinally bisected with a razor blade, dehydrated through an alcohol series and then cleared in methyl salicylate and mounted in Canada balsam / DPX.’
- ‘A thin section is a slice of rock 30 micrometres thick affixed to a glass plate or slide with a resin called Canada balsam.’
- ‘Also, three recent annelid shells were longitudinally sectioned in Canada balsam, polished, and etched in 1% solution of acetic acid for two minutes for comparative shell structure study with SEM.’
- ‘A cover slip was mounted over the preparations using Canada balsam.’
- ‘Then, after removing the coverslips, the slides were dehydrated with 70, 90 and 96% alcohol, treated with xylene and mounted in Canada balsam.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.